ss_blog_claim=946fd2ecbe1cfcbd289b48e0310de21c

January 6, 2010

It's in the Small Details: A Sherlock Holmes Movie Review



It's the small details that tell the whole story, says Sherlock Holmes.

Okay, admittedly, I am not one for the small details. In fact, much as I try to recall, I can't remember what it is exactly Sherlock Holmes (played by Robert Downey , Jr.) but in essence, he tells Mary Morstan (played by Kelly Reilly), the love interest of his long-time partner and sidekick Dr. John Watson (played by Jude Law) that the small details are the most telling.

As a child, I loved reading Nancy Drew and Bobbsey Twins stories. However, I never was quick enough to pick up on the clues of these stories. Suffice it to say, I never really ventured into reading the Sherlock Holmes novels or short stories created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Being the lazy reader I am, I was so glad to have gotten the chance to reknowned character brought to life in a film by Guy Richie.


The story takes the viewer to old-town London as Holmes and Watson try to solve the mystery of Lord Blackwood (played by Mark Strong) and his devious plot to destroy England. The duo take on the streets of London  looking for clues to stop this from happening. Add to the mix "the woman", the only woman to impress Holmes in his stories, Irene Adler (played by Rachel McAdams). Her presence, as well as Watson's pending engagement, brings Holmes into a quandry emotionally.

I loved how the cinematography and scenery really took me back to what that era must really be like. From the costumes to the cobblestones of London's streets, the carriages and the tunnels and canals, I really felt like I was taken back to that time period. However, it seemed to me that there was still so much of the story left out, mainly because I am not a big Holmes/Doyle fan (as I said, I never really sat down to read the stories!), thus I really had no background about the characters and the prevalent storyline. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the film a lot, especially as I saw how all the little details and a bit of chemistry tied the story up well in the end.

Watching the Sherlock Holmes press screening last night with many of my blogger friends was indeed a great way to kick off 2010! I hope this year I really get to meet my goal of seeing 30 movies. I missed it by 6 last year!

Many thanks to our friends at Warner Bros. Pictures for the invitation :-)

Sherlock Holmes opens in theaters nationwide on Friday, January 8, 2010.

2 stars twinkling:

Patricia Rockwell 1/12/2010 12:55:00 AM  

I liked, but didn't love, the movie. I found there was too much chasing and fighting and not enough quiet contemplation by Holmes--but, I guess, that was what they were going for.

fetus 1/13/2010 07:43:00 PM  

i'm gonna watch this! :) thanks for the review!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Watch Pacquiao Vs Clottey Live Streaming and Watch Pacquiao vs Clottey's video live stream

Back to TOP