ss_blog_claim=946fd2ecbe1cfcbd289b48e0310de21c

July 14, 2009

You’re the 1, Goldilocks!

Coming from a large, extended, and often enmeshed family, there was always something to celebrate. From birthdays to graduations, baptisms, weddings and reunions, the Saenz clan definitely got together a lot. And of course, all of these occasions were filled with lots and lots of food! Even though I come from a family of good cooks, we always bought our desserts, and trust me, we'd have lots of it on any gathering! Most of the time, that familiar blue and yellow box from Goldilocks would sit at the middle of the table, just waiting for us to sink our sweet teeth into it! Even ordinary days would hold a treat from Goldilocks, as my lola always made sure there was something to eat in the pantry whenever anyone of us dropped by.

However, if there is I miss most about those days, it is spending lazy Sunday afternoons with my Lolo enjoying our favorite treats from Goldilocks. We spent many an afternoon watching basketball games on television, him lounging in his lazy boy and me curled up in the bed beside him munching on a bag of Goldilocks Caramel Popcorn. I still remember how it was packaged back then...in a thick somewhat opaque plastic bag with the customary blue lines and signature of Goldilocks. He didn't like it that much, because it was sweet, but he always made sure to ask my lola or my mom to make sure that there was a pack available for our Sunday rituals. Every once in a while, I drop by the branch here in President's Avenue in BF Homes on my way to visit my lolo's gravesite and just sit there and remember how we were when he was when he was alive.

Another favorite treat of ours is the Cathedral Window. Because Lolo was diabetic at the latter part of his life, we had to cut down on sweet treats but he'd always make pasimple and have some of this. My lolo liked it so much I attempted to learn how to make it, but for some reason, I could never get it to taste right, perhaps because I tried to not use sugar or use the sugar-free jell-o's available. I remember how I had tried to trick him into thinking what he was eating was from Goldilocks, but because it didn't taste and "feel" right, he saw right through it!

You're the one the 1 Goldilocks because like a big hug just when you need it, you're always there to bring comfort and joy to any moment. Thank you for filling my heart with fond memories of bonding with my favorite person, my hero and idol, my Lolo. When the time comes for me to get married, I hope to be cutting this cake and making new memories and carrying out more traditions with my own family :-)





pastry and cake images from the Goldilocks Website.

4 stars twinkling:

Mauie 7/15/2009 05:54:00 PM  

So heartwarming. I wish I had time with my lolos, too. I grew up without knowing them personally. Cute photo by the way.

t.,  7/16/2009 10:09:00 PM  

awww... :)

Goldilock's polvoron...classic favorite! :) now im craving for some, waah!

earthlingorgeous 7/17/2009 01:59:00 PM  

Goodluck on the contest...such a heartwarming post.

Ria 7/17/2009 03:11:00 PM  

thanks guys...im really hoping i win the hp lappy?!?

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Watch Pacquiao Vs Clottey Live Streaming and Watch Pacquiao vs Clottey's video live stream

Back to TOP