ss_blog_claim=946fd2ecbe1cfcbd289b48e0310de21c

January 15, 2009

Yes? Yes...Yes!

"Yes is the new No"

This is what self-help guru Terrence Bundley preaches to a group of people seeking to make their lives better. In comes Carl Allen (played by Jim Carrey), a sad, single-bordering-on-pathetic man stuck in a dead-end job who all but stopped living life and was caught "no"where because all he ever did was say NO. After attending a YES MAN session, where he took a covenant to say "yes" to all opportunities that come his way, life began to happen once again for Carl Allen. From finding a great gal, learning new skills, getting a promotion, things started looking up for him. But what happens when all you do is say yes?

The film was a funny take on how saying yes can indeed change everything, and yet a gentle reminder of the power of free will and making a choice.

Yes Man has the typical flavor of a Jim Carrey flick (particularly Liar, Liar and Bruce Almighty), which can make it somewhat predictable and hackneyed. Nonetheless, it does have a lot of great scenes which will definitely crack you up. Definitely a whole lot of fun!

Overall, I'd rate it 3.5/5 stars. If you're looking for a flick for a casual movie date, or just a good way to wile away the time, go see it.

Personally, it got me to thinking (yes, even this slapstick comedy can get one to think!) about how many opportunities come my way and pass me by because I stick to what is comfortable and familiar to me already. One thing that stuck in mind was something the Alison (played by Zooey Deschanel) said (this is as best as I remember it!): "The world's a playground. You know that when you are a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it".

So true, don't you think? We often get caught up in things we HAVE to do that we forget to take time out and enjoy life for what it is. Further, we tend to keep saying no to change, as change tends to be difficult and tiresome. Sure it may be interesting at times, but for the most part, it entails a lot of work. Then again, who said things always had to be easy, right?

So in the spirit of Yes Man, and with Yes being the new No, here are some things I'll try to say yes to...note: TRY!

1. Going to more blogger events, even if Janine won't be coming with me anymore. Oh, by the way, thanks again AZ for the invite to the movie. Can't wait for the next one!
2. Trying new things on the menu. I tend to be the type to order the same thing on the menu in many of the restaurants I go to. The thought behind it? Well, at least I know it's masarap. Pano kung hindi, sayang pambayad! (At least I know it's good...what if it's not? What a waste!)
3. New job opportunities. I've been teaching for the longest time, and the great thing about it is the fact that I can take on other jobs in between :-) Unlike desk jobs, I'm not limited to just that. Wonder what's around the corner?!? :-)
4. Blind dates/Dating. Remember: operative word here was TRY! Hahaha! Seriously though, given that I'm more of the stay-at-home, come-over type, this is a bit of a challenge. I'm tamad to dress up and all kaya!!!

Yes Man starring Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Bradley Cooper and Terence Stamp
directed by Peyton Reed
Warner Bros. Pictures

1 stars twinkling:

Marlon Celso 1/15/2009 03:21:00 PM  

I haven't seen the movie but by theme and as how you described it i am sure it a good one. Remember the Bruce Almighty film and even the Truman Show? When it's Jim Carey, it's not just pure funny antics but also good story line. I look up the movie. Nice post.

http://perspektib.blogspot.com

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Watch Pacquiao Vs Clottey Live Streaming and Watch Pacquiao vs Clottey's video live stream

Back to TOP